about to (do something)
- to be on the point of doing something
- I was about to leave when the phone rang.
according to (someone or something)
- as said or told by someone, in agreement with something, in the order of something, in proportion to something
- According to our teacher, there will be no class next week.
- We did everything according to the terms of our agreement.
- We will dress for the hike, according to the weather.
account for (something)
- to provide an explanation or an answer for something
- The bad weather accounts for the fact that few people came to the meeting.
- considering the fact that something happened or happens, something that is usually assumed
"You don't need to phone him. After all, he never phones you."
all of a sudden
- suddenly, without advance warning
- All of a sudden, it became cloudy and began to rain.
as a matter of fact
"As a matter of fact, we have been to the sports stadium many times."
as far as
- to the extent or degree of something
- As far as I know, the movie will start in a few minutes.
- with regard to, concerning
"As for myself, I think that I will return home now."
- in the same way that something would be, that
- The drink tastes as if it were made with orange juice.
- It seemed as if the whole school came to the concert.
as long as
- provided that, on condition that
- As long as you promise to be careful, you can borrow my car."
as soon as
- just after something, when
I phoned my friend as soon as I finished dinner.
- with regard to, according to
"As to your question, I will answer it tomorrow."
The players were put into groups as to their ability.
- in addition, also, too
- I plan to take swimming lessons this summer. I plan to take a computer course as well.
as well as (someone or something)
- in addition to someone or something
- "Please bring your swimming suit as well as your towel."