1. attain v., to achieve
a. The movie quickly attained cult status.
b. The director attained his goal of an Academy Award.
2. combine v., to come together
a. The director combined two previously separate visual techniques.
b. The new production company combines the talents of three of Hollywood's best known teams.
3. continue v., to maintain without interruption
a. The film continues the story set out in an earlier film.
b. The search for a star will continue until one is found.
4. description n., a representation in words or pictures
a. The description of the film did not match what we saw on screen.
b. The critic's description of the film made it sound very appealing.
5. disperse v., to spread widely, to scatter
a. The reporters dispersed after the press agent cancelled the interview with the film director.
b. The crowd outside the movie premiere would not disperse until they had seen the movie stars.
6. entertainment n., a diverting performance or activity
a. The movie was provided for our entertainment.
b. There was no entertainment for children of guests at the hotel.
7. influence v., to alter or affect
a. The editor's style influenced a generation of film editors.
b. The producer was able to influence the town council to allow her to film in the park.
8. range n., the scope
a. The range of the director's vision is impressive.
b. What is the price range you are willing pay for a ticket to the premiere?
9. release v., to make available to the public; to give permission for performance
a. The film was finally released to movie theaters after many delays.
b. The producers of the film are hoping to release it in time for the holidays.
10. represent v., to typify
a. The actor represented the ideals of the culture.
b. The hungry child in the film represented the world's poverty.
11. separate adj., detached; kept apart
a. Movie-making combines several separate processes.
b. The financial and artistic teams are usually in separate divisions.
12. successive adj., following in order
a. The script went through successive rewrites.
b. Somehow the successive images were interrupted and had to be edited again.